May is mental health awareness month, but the stigma surrounding individuals living with a mental illness extends much further than that. As the news boils over with horrific stories of violent crimes, mental illness appears to be the only explainable cause for such overwhelming tragedy. Yes, it is a dangerous world to live in, but it becomes more dangerous still when looking down on the misunderstood. The consequences of stigma are apparent throughout history with the types of treatment imposed upon people with a mental illness. Stigma is also visible today through representations in the media which have the power to feed or starve it.
- Prescribing nature: Research suggests the outdoors are good for your mental health
- Temple Grandin Wants Us to Think Differently About Kids Who Think Differently
- ‘Schizophrenia’ Still Carries a Stigma. Will Changing the Name Help?
- New treatment for depression without drugs
- Tony Bennett’s last concert